Household bills and accounts

0345 600 3 600

Monday to Friday, 8am to 6pm (for non-household billing enquiries, please contact your retailer).

Make an enquiry
More contacts

Water supply and sewerage

0345 600 4 600

Monday to Friday, 8am to 6pm (emergencies only at other times)

Make an enquiry
More contacts
Contact us
  • How to apply for consent

    It is your responsibility to obtain consent before making a discharge to the public sewer network. Discharging trade effluent without consent is a criminal offence.

    To apply for consent, please contact your retailer.

    Their contact details will be available on your most recent water bill.

    When applying you will need to provide:

    • details of your company/partnership including the ownership and location of the trade premises
    • information on the nature and composition of trade effluent. It may be necessary to provide chemical analysis of the effluent
    • the maximum daily volume of trade effluent to be discharged
    • the maximum rate of flow.

    Drainage plan

    You will also need to provide a detailed site drainage plan showing:

    • all drains and manholes - those carrying trade effluent should be coloured in red
    • a suitable sampling point marked on the mapthe point where the private drains connect to the sewer, if appropriate.

    Please note a new connection to the public sewer requires approval from developer services.

    Plans may be sketched although a more detailed plan must be provided if requested by us.

    We maintain records of public foul and surface water sewers but are not responsible for private drainage. If you are unsure about your own drainage system you should arrange a drainage contractor to carry out a survey and provide a detailed site drainage plan.

    Granting consent

    We will grant or refuse consent within two months of receiving your completed application.

    Please note that if we fail to issue consent within this timescale, this does not give you "deemed" consent to discharge.It is rare for us to refuse consent but we may have to if the effluent or premises pose an unacceptable risk to our staff, infrastructure or the public.

    If an effluent does pose a risk or problem we will meet with the business to discuss ways forward.

    You may need to install pre-treatment or environmental risk control measures before the effluent can be accepted into our sewers. You may wish to discuss pre-treatment with your retailer.

Close this message