Household bills and accounts

0345 600 3 600

Monday to Friday, 8am to 6pm (for non-household billing enquiries, please contact your retailer).

Make an enquiry
More contacts

Water supply and sewerage

0345 600 4 600

Monday to Friday, 8am to 6pm (emergencies only at other times)

Make an enquiry
More contacts
Contact us
  • Plumbing work - notifications

    Before you begin work to install or alter your plumbing system, you have to tell us about it if it involves any of the below:

    Types of plumbing work covered

    Image courtesy of WRAS

    Details to be notified

    The following information must be provided on our notification form:

    • the name and address of the person giving notice (applicant), and if different, of the person who should receive consent
    • the location of the premises and their use or intended use
    • a description of the proposed work and any related changes to use of premises, eg, a house changing to a block of flats or a farm to a different commercial use
    • a plan of the premises where the work is being carried plus a diagram showing the pipework and fittings to be installed including the make and model of all associated parts
    • the plumbing contractor's name and address if an approved plumber is doing the work.

    Other useful information, where applicable, could include whether you have a heating oil storage tank at your property and/or an alternate private supply (spring or borehole).

    Granting consent

    We don't charge for notifications or for granting consent but work cannot start until consent has been given.

    The consent letter may contain certain conditions regarding the plumbing arrangements so it is important to keep a copy for the plumber carrying out the work.

    Failure to comply with the regulations regarding new installations could mean the water supply is withdrawn.

    Consent will be not withheld unreasonably and may be granted subject to conditions which must be followed.

    Under the regulations, if consent is not given within 10 working days it is assumed to have been granted. This does not alter the plumber or person receiving consent the obligation to see that the regulations are met in full.


    Depending on the work involved, you may not have to notify us before work starts if you are using an approved plumber. They will send us a copy of the certificate they provide to confirm their work meets the regulations.

    If breaches of the regulation are found in the certified work, the legal responsibility falls on the approved plumber and not on you.

Close this message