Household bills and accounts

0345 600 3 600

Monday to Friday, 8am to 6pm (for non-household billing enquiries, please contact your retailer).

Make an enquiry
More contacts

Water supply and sewerage

0345 600 4 600

Monday to Friday, 8am to 6pm (emergencies only at other times)

Make an enquiry
More contacts
Contact us
  • Pipework responsibility


    As the premises owner, you are responsible for:

    • the maintenance of the plumbing inside your property, for example, all the pipework, water tanks, taps and overflows - shown in light blue in the diagram below
    • the service pipe from your property to the street boundary including any pipework crossing third party land - shown in orange in the diagram below.

    Whose pipes business

    If you are unsure about the route of your supply, please contact your retailer for advice on location and responsibility.


    As the premises owner, you are responsible for

    • the length of the drain that takes sewage within and away from your property up to the boundary or to the point where it joins with pipework from another property 
    • pipes connected to private treatment systems such as septic tanks, soakaways and private treatment works
    • other systems which do not connect to the public sewer such as surface water pipes which discharge directly to a watercourse
    • internal drainage pipes or above ground pipework such as guttering or vent stacks.

    Sewer pipe responsibility 1 660

Popular questions
    Close this message