Household bills and accounts

0345 600 3 600

Monday to Friday, 8am to 6pm (for non-household billing enquiries, please contact your retailer).

Make an enquiry
More contacts

Water supply and sewerage

0345 600 4 600

Monday to Friday, 8am to 6pm (emergencies only at other times)

Make an enquiry
More contacts
Contact us
  • Plumbing work - notifications

    Before work begins to install or alter the plumbing inside your property, we must be told. This includes any of the following installations:

    Types of plumbing work covered

    Image courtesy of WRAS

    Details to be notified

    To notify us of the work, please complete the water regulations part of our service connections form.

    Please include the following information:

    • the name and address of the person giving notice (applicant), and if different, of the person who should receive consent
    • the location of the premises and their use or intended use
    • a description of the proposed work and any related changes to use of premises, eg, a house changing to a block of flats or a farm to a different commercial use
    • a plan of the premises relating to the proposed work and a diagram showing the pipework and fittings to be installed including the make and model of all associated parts
    • the plumbing contractor's name and address if an approved plumber is to do the work.

    Other useful information, where applicable, is whether you have a heating oil storage tank at your property and if you have a private supply (spring or borehole).

    Granting consent

    We don't charge for notifications or for granting consent but work cannot start until consent has been given.

    The consent letter could contain certain conditions regarding the plumbing arrangements so it is important to keep a copy for the installer. 

    Failure to comply with the regulations regarding new installations could mean the water supply is withdrawn.

    Consent will be not withheld unreasonably and may be granted subject to conditions which must be followed.

    Under the regulations, if consent is not given within 10 working days it is assumed to have been granted. This does not alter the installer, owner or occupier's obligations to see that the regulations are met in full.


    Depending on the type of work, you may not have to notify us before the work starts if you are using an approved plumber.

    They will send us a copy of the certificate they provide to confirm their work meets the regulations.

    If breaches of the regulation are found in the certified work, the legal responsibility falls on the approved plumber and not on you.

Close this message