Household bills and accounts

0345 600 3 600

Monday to Friday, 8am to 6pm (for non-household billing enquiries, please contact your retailer).

customer.services@wessexwater.co.uk
More contacts

Water supply and sewerage

0345 600 4 600

Monday to Friday, 8am to 6pm (emergencies only at other times)

operational.enquiries@wessexwater.co.uk
More contacts
Contact us
  • Waste management

    We have set an ambitious target to lead the way for waste management in the water industry - our aim is to divert 100% of our waste across the whole business from being sent to landfill by 2020.

    We are the only water company that has committed to ensuring all waste from across the business avoids a trip to a landfill site. 

    Already within reach of the target, we have achieved over 98% diversion from landfill. The remaining 2% comprises items such as contaminated soil and construction wastes that are difficult to reuse or recycle. One hundred per cent of our office waste is already diverted from landfill.

    Our approach is being embraced throughout the business, including during major construction schemes. For example, we now do not use landfill for all of our inert waste which is produced across the business. This is over 100,000 tonnes of material diverted from landfill each year. 

    This is material that would normally be sent to a recycling facility which mean that it not only reduced vehicle movements, it also saved costs and carbon emissions from purchasing and transporting new building materials.

    Zero waste 100

    As well as construction, we are also enforcing the zero waste promise throughout day-to-day operations, including the sewage treatment process.

    Plastic, paper and sanitary material from non-flushable items such as wet wipes and nappies that are screened out from sewage treatment works, as well as grit from the road falling into sewers are traditionally sent straight to landfill.

    Instead, at Avonmouth sewage treatment works, our subsidiary company GENeco composts these materials, as well as that from other companies, and is currently in discussion with the Environment Agency to determine the agricultural benefits of the resulting compost-like output. The results are already gaining interest from farmers due to its nutrient content and soil improving qualities. 

    Diverting all waste to landfill is just one of many initiatives we are rolling out over the next five years to help the environment. 

  • Related Downloads

Close this message