Water Redress Scheme

Water Redress Scheme

The Water Redress Scheme provides an independent binding decision regarding unresolved complaints.

If your complaint remains unresolved after it has gone through all the stages of our complaints procedure and has been reviewed by the Consumer Council for Water, you may be eligible to take your concerns to WATRS, the Water Redress Scheme, which can provide an independent binding decision.  

WATRS is a voluntary dispute resolution scheme designed to provide an independent, impartial and easy to use alternative to going to court or a tribunal.  

You can make an application, free of charge, via the WATRS website. Email info@watrs.org or call 0207 520 3801 to request a hard copy of the application form. Guidance notes are available.  

The address is WATRS, Centre for Effective Dispute Resolution, International Dispute Resolution Centre, 70 Fleet Street, London EC4Y 1EU.

We have signed up to the scheme's commitments which are to:

  • provide WATRS free of charge to customers
  • support the principles set out in the alternative dispute resolution (ADR) specification
  • respect the independence of WATRS
  • be bound by decision of the WATRS’ adjudicator if accepted by the customer and to implement the decision as required by the scheme rules
  • cooperate with and have due regard to the recommendations of the ADR panel
  • provide accurate and reliable information to and cooperate with the WATRS’ adjudicators.

Find out about WATRS

You can find a full copy of WATRS' commitments, the scheme rules, further information and frequently asked questions on its website


Ofwat handled disputes

In some cases the Consumer Council for Water will not be able to deal with your complaint.

You or the Consumer Council for Water may refer certain disputes to Ofwat, the water industry regulator, for a decision.

Wessex Water or the Consumer Council for Water can provide more information about which disputes can be referred to Ofwat.


Our complaints procedure is designed to make it as easy as possible for you to have your complaint dealt with quickly, cheaply and fairly.

Some complaints may need to be decided by an arbitrator and not Ofwat. These include prevention of contamination, costs of installing a water meter, location of a water meter and compensation for street works.

We hope you will not have to resort to the time and expense of arbitration or legal proceedings. For more details about arbitration, contact your local office of the Chartered Institute of Arbitrators.