Rats and rodents


If you discover a rat or evidence of rodents, such as droppings, near or on your property, it is important that you contact the relevant authority.

Although rats often nest in sewers or use them as networks, it is the environmental health department at your local council who should be contacted if evidence of rats is found above ground.

Contacting your local authority

To find your local council, visit https://www.gov.uk/find-local-council 

Your local council will be able to identify where the rats are coming from and offer a solution to tackle the problem. 

Only the local council can carry out baiting above ground.

You can find out more about pest control from the British Pest Control Association https://bpca.org.uk

What we will do

If the local council confirms the rats are coming from the public sewer, we can arrange a visit to investigate.

We will carry out CCTV to identify any potential defects in the sewer and we will also complete a course of baiting within the sewer. 

Pipework responsibility

As a customer you are responsible for the drains that serve your home up to the boundary of your property or to the point where it joins with pipework from another property, whichever is closest.

We are responsible for maintaining the drain beyond the boundary of your property, ie, the public sewer network. 

If the rats are escaping from your drain, you will be responsible for the necessary repairs.

For more information see pipework responsibility.