Report a blockage

Spotting and reporting blockages

Sewer blockages can result in what you flush or pour down the drain coming back up through your toilet, sink, bath or shower, or in the worst case, causing flooding to your home or your neighbours’.

Report a blockage

If you experience a blockage, call us immediately on 0345 600 4 600. In the unlikely event that you have sewage flooding in your home, visit this page for advice on what to do.

How can I prevent blockages in my home

We have lots of advice to help you stop the block that shows how you can make simple changes in your daily habits to protect your home from blockages.

How do I know if I have a blockage?

Here is what to look out for:

  • Percolation or gargling sounds close to drains and plumbing
  • Water or waste that’s slow to drain, including plug holes
  • A drain blockage or water that’s not draining
  • Water backing up or overfilling
  • Raw sewage or wastewater returning into your home

Spotted a leaking manhole in the street?

Please report this to us immediately by calling 0345 600 4 600 and we will send a crew to investigate.

Who is responsible for maintaining and unblocking drains and sewers?

As your water company, we are responsible for public sewer blockages and will unblock public sewers and drains free of charge.

If you are affected by public sewer flooding, we will help and, where appropriate, pay compensation.

It is important to check whether a blockage is in a public or private sewer. If you think you have a blocked sewer, please contact us so we can find out whether it is a public or private sewer.

If the sewer or drain is private, you will need to call a plumber for drain clearance as it's not the responsibility of your water supplier.

Most blockages can be cleared within minutes so if it is your responsibility as a homeowner, remember to obtain a clear breakdown of the costs involved before employing a contractor.

If you are a Wessex Water customer and the drain or sewer looks to be public, please contact us to find out and flag it to us for inspection and repair of the area.