Ofwat handled disputes

In some cases the Consumer Council for Water will not be able to deal with your complaint.

You or the Consumer Council for Water may refer certain disputes to Ofwat, the water industry regulator, for a decision.

Wessex Water or the Consumer Council for Water can provide more information about which disputes can be referred to Ofwat.


Our complaints procedure is designed to make it as easy as possible for you to have your complaint dealt with quickly, cheaply and fairly.

Some complaints may need to be decided by an arbitrator and not Ofwat. These include prevention of contamination, costs of installing a water meter, location of a water meter and compensation for street works.

We hope you will not have to resort to the time and expense of arbitration or legal proceedings. For more details about arbitration, contact your local office of theĀ Chartered Institute of Arbitrators.