Plumbing notifications

Regulations mean that if you are installing or altering your plumbing system you have to tell us before you begin work.

This covers the following work:

  • building a house or other property/structure
  • a bidet with an upward spray or flexible hose
  • a bath which holds more than 230 litres of water
  • a garden watering system (unless operated by hand)
  • changing the use of a building or installing systems such as rainwater harvesting
  • installing a swimming pool or pond over 10,000 litres

Other work needing consent include:

  • a water treatment unit which produces wastewater
  • a reduced pressure zone (RPZ) valve assembly or similar
  • a reverse osmosis unit for cleaning water
  • a pump or booster delivering more than 12 litres of water per minute
  • any water system outside a building which is either less than 750mm or more than 1,350mm below ground
  • extending or altering the water system on a non-household building.
Types of plumbing work covered
Image courtesy of WRAS

Notify us of changes to your plumbing

If your work involves any of the above tell us by downloading and completing a regulation 5 notification form.

Information to include

On the form please include:

  • the name and address of the person making the application
  • the name and address of the person receiving consent (if different from the applicant)
  • the location of the premises and their use or intended use
  • a description of the proposed work and any related changes to use of premises, eg, a house changing to a block of flats or a farm to a different commercial use
  • a plan of the premises where the work is being carried plus a diagram showing the pipework and fittings to be installed including the make and model of all associated parts
  • the name and address of the approved plumber if one is doing the work.

Other useful information, where applicable, could include whether you have a heating oil storage tank at your property and/or an alternate private supply (spring or borehole).

Granting consent

There is no charge for notifications or for granting consent but work cannot start until consent has been given.

Consent will not be withheld unreasonably and may be granted subject to conditions which must be followed.

Under the regulations, if consent is not given within 10 working days it is assumed to have been granted. In these cases the plumber or person receiving consent must still ensure the regulations are met in full.

Please remember to keep a copy of the consent letter as a plumber carrying out the work will need to know if there are any conditions.

Failure to comply with the regulations regarding new installations could mean the water supply is withdrawn.


You may not have to tell us before work starts if you are using an approved plumber but it depends on the work involved.

In these cases, the plumber will send a copy of the certificate they provide to confirm their work meets the regulations.

If breaches of the regulation are found in the certified work, the legal responsibility falls on the approved plumber and not on you.